We have officially made it to the "safe" zone! The 37 week point is considered full term and it is safe to deliver the baby now. We have had an eventful past two weeks to say the least. At 35 weeks pregnant I went to the hospital with preterm labor. This had my husband and I feeling extremely anxious and scared. We were being told that at this point there is a risk of the baby being born with lungs that were not fully developed yet.
It was Saturday, June 30th, and we had spent the day at my family reunion on my Dad's side. It was horribly hot and we were outside for a good portion of the day. On our trip back home I started feeling contractions. This was around 5:00pm and once I got home I tried sitting at the table to eat supper but couldn't. I went to lay down on the couch a few times and realized these contractions were very steady and were not going away. At 7:30pm I called the OB nurses station at the hospital and they told me I could either come in right away to be checked or stay home for another hour and take some tylenol, drink lots of water and keep my feet up. I decided to stay home and wait it out. Three hours later there were no signs of these contractions stopping so I called the hospital and told them I was on my way. After being monitored for a little while they said my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart. I was given an injection of Terbutaline and was monitored for an hour. The contractions were still ongoing so the doctor ordered the nurse to give me one more injection. At about 1:30am the contractions had finally stopped! I was told they wanted to keep me overnight in the hospital for monitoring. At 7:00am I was told it was okay for me to go home. They told me to continue drinking lots of fluids and get some rest.
When we got back to the hospital they hooked me up to the monitor to check my contractions and monitor the baby's heart beat. When they checked me I was dilated to 2.5cm. Over the next four hours they continued to monitor the contractions and the doctor came in to visit with me about the risks of letting labor continue. They said they would check me one more time at 4:00pm and then decide what to do from there. When 4 o'clock came around I was still at a 2.5 so they decided to send me home and told me to come back if contractions go worse and lasted longer. Later that night the contractions started to slow down and eventually stopped by the time I went to bed. This was such a relief but I was so confused! I really thought the baby was going to come and here I was back at home. This little boy has us on our toes!
I have continued to have contractions off and on over the past two weeks. Sometimes they will last 3-4 hours and sometimes they are just random and only last about 30 minutes. Each time they start I wonder if this is the real deal or not. It starts to drive a person a little crazy! Some nights I will wake up with bad cramping and the feeling of pressure. I guess he is preparing me for the sleepless nights that are about to come.
I am just relieved to have made it to the 37 week mark and I feel like I can breath a sigh of relief knowing that the risks of preterm labor are behind us. I have a doctor appointment tomorrow morning and I am anxious to see if I have progressed any further or if I have stayed at 2.5cm.
On a side note...our house is SOLD! We got an offer on June 28th and we should be closing around August 15th. So shortly after the baby is born we will be moving into our new home. I am really excited to get moved so that we can get a nursery done for our little guy. Until then he will be sleeping in a bassinet in our room.
I feel like there is so much going on and I am so far behind on my blog updates! I have other things I want to share but this is getting way too long already. Hopefully I can get a few more posts in soon! :)