Sunday, March 18, 2012

Green Julius (Healthified Orange Julius)

In the the midst of all the fun that comes along with St. Patrick's Day and being an Irish girl myself I thought it very fitting to make something green this weekend.  Besides eating lots of spinach, green peppers and avocado this weekend I decided to make orange julius, an old favorite, with a healthier twist.

The recipe that my Mom used when I was growing up included orange juice concentrate, lots of sugar and regular milk.  I have subsituted these things with healthier ingredients.  The result was pretty darn good, recipe may need a little tweeking but overall my craving was satisfied.  I love the fact that this is full of nutrients from the spinach and orange like vitamin A and C, antioxidants, fiber and calcium just to name a few. 


Green Julius
1 Orange (peel and pull apart slices)
2/3 C Unsweetened Vanillla Almond Milk
1 tsp Stevia (all natural sweetener)
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
Handful of fresh spinach
1 C Ice

Blend (about 60-90 seconds) until well blended and you can no longer see any pieces of spinach.
*Next time I want to try adding a 1/2 frozen banana to make it creamier.

Mollie helped me slurp half of this down so I can say it's toddler approved! :)

Enjoy!
xoxo
Kari

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...