Sunday, November 20, 2011

Creamy Spaghetti Casserole (Healthier Version)

This one is a hit in our household and I have to admit the way I used to make it was not quite as healthy.  Now that I have improved my eating habits I have found a few ways to make this a bit healthier.  I would still consider this to be a treat, not something I would make on a regular basis due to some of the ingredients not being 100% healthy plus I try to keep my pasta consumption to once a week.  I wasn't really considering posting this until MS_FitTip on Twitter asked if I would be.  I thought, what the heck, sure I can!  It's really yummy! :)


Mollie & Jason approved! :)

Creamy Spaghetti Casserole
1 lb ground lean turkey*
8 oz. vegatable or whole wheat spaghetti (broken in to 2 in. pieces)
1/2 C chopped green pepper
1/2 C chopped white onion
1/2 C carrots thinly sliced
1  8oz. pkg fresh mushrooms sliced
1/4 C reduced sodium chicken or vegatable broth
1 10.75oz. can fat free cream of chicken
1 10.75oz. can fat free cream of mushroom
1/2 C fat free plain greek yogurt
2 C reduced fat colby jack cheese
salt & pepper to taste (I will list other seasonings I like to add in notes below)

Boil pasta in large pot of water for 8 minutes (make sure to break into small pieces before cooking).  Drain and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Brown ground turkey in large skillet over medium heat.  Season with salt and pepper (I like to add in some garlic powder, cayenne, dried rosemary and italian seasoning too).  Feel free to add in spices that you enjoy.  Push turkey to one side of pan when fully cooked and saute onions on other side with a drizzle of olive oil, stirring until softened.  Add in green peppers, carrots and mushrooms.  Cook about 5-10 more minutes on med-low heat until the veggies are at the tenderness you prefer. 
In a casserole dish mix cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, greek yogurt, broth and 1 C of cheese.  Stir in turkey/veggie mixture and stir well.  Lastly, stir in your cooked pasta.  Cover your casserole dish with a lid or foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1 C cheese and broil on high for 2 minutes.  Serve and ENJOY! :)

*I have also made this with chicken, just cook 2 large chicken breasts and cut up into cubes. 
**You could cut the cheese in this recipe to 1 C to cut some calories and fat (just omit the cheese that you stir into the casserole or the cheese on top...or just use 1/2 C in the casserole and 1/2 C on top).  Still just as good!

1 comment:

  1. Hi kari this is kris i request the recipe from you via twitter thanks for posting the recipe i will be trying it. ill be sure to let you know how it turns out thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...