Thursday, October 27, 2011

Holiday Season: The Skinny Way

I am a member of the Tone It Up team and we are just finishing up the Fall Challenge.  After all that hard work I don't want it to go to waste!  I don't know about you but this time of year always seems to test my ability to make the right choices when it comes to food and exercise.  Whether it's the comfort foods that come with Fall and the cold weather in the following months it can be a challenge to stay on track or find motivation to keep going.  During the Summer months it seems so easy to get outside and go for daily walks and runs.  When the weather is hot I tend to eat lighter foods like salads and fruit.  Plus the idea of tanks tops and shorts makes me want to eat healthy food so I can wear those fun Summer clothes.  Here are some things I plan to do to this year avoid the holiday weight gain.
Found this on Pintrest, love it! :)


TIP #1: Comfort Foods Done Right
I find that if I deprive myself of foods that I love then I end up binging on them later.  So I am trying to come up with healthified recipes for the usual Fall comfort foods that I tend to go for.  My favorites are chili, spaghetti and hot casseroles.  I recently made white chili with a broth base and replaced ground beef with lean turkey.  It definitely did the trick and actually found that I enjoy it more than regular chili.  Top it off with greek yogurt instead of cheese.  I am going to limit my pasta dishes to once a week and will only use whole wheat pasta.  As for casseroles, these can be made healhier by using lean meats such as chicken or turkey.  You can also add in lots of veggies like carrots, broccoli and cauliflower.  Most casseroles call for cream soups so try to use the reduced sodium options and use about half of what the recipe calls for and replace with greek yogurt. 


TIP #2: Holiday Meals
One of my biggest mistakes is going to a holiday meal with an empty stomach.  In the past I have had the tendency to skip breakfast to save room for all the yummy food.  Not this year!  I will eat a light breakfast with protein and fiber to keep me full until it's time for our meal with family.  A good option would be whole grain toast with peanut butter and a banana or scrambled egg whites with vegetables (spinach, mushrooms and/or tomatoes) and a 0% greek yogurt, my favorite is Pomegranate Chobani 0%.  Remember to drink plenty of water too.  Staying hydrated not only helps to keep you full but it will help wash out the salt from the high sodium holiday foods.


TIP #3: Keep working out!
The days get shorter and the weather gets colder.  Here in South Dakota we get temps below zero and a lot of snow so working out outside gets to be extremely challenging.  Jason and I have invested in a treadmill, stationary bike and a weight set in our home gym.  No excuses!  We do have four gyms in our town, three of which are 24 hour, but since we have equipment at home I don't feel the need to buy a membership to a gym.  Sometimes I do wish I had access to some of the exercise classes, it would be fun!  I buy DVD's to keep things exciting and to be able to swich up my workouts.  Make sure to get a good workout in the morning before going to a holiday meal.  This way you can enjoy yourself a little and not feel competely guilty afterwards which can lead to a downward spiral of over eating.  Just remember to keep things in moderation.  I find that going for a 30 minute walk after a big meal feels amazing and you don't feel so miserable afterwards.


This year I am signing up for the Turkey Day run in our town.  It is a 5k race Thanksgiving Day morning and I am so excited to run it!  Last year I chickened out because the windchill was -28 degrees.  Brrrrr!  Do you have races in your area this Thanksgiving?

Time I want to beat!

Happy Holidays!! :)





2 comments:

  1. Love this post Kari! I've favourited it to look back on in December haha! Things definitely get difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas i'll have to do better next holiday season. Back on my workout routine now thankfully. Really enjoyed reading about your treadmill workouts. Love your blog..very inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...