Saturday, September 17, 2011

*Grapefruit*

I am a huge fan of grapefruit.  I usually slice it in half and then cut out all the individual sections on the inside before I devour the entire thing in less than 60 seconds (it's just so good!).  It takes me longer to prepare the grapefruit than it does for me to eat it.  Sometimes I sprinkle it with a little Stevia (an all-natural zero-calorie sweetener) but if a grapefruit is really good it does not need anything, it is so refreshing! 


I recently saw a post on Facebook from Tone It Up in which they suggested to put grapefruit along with strawberries in their water for flavor.  I use strawberries (and sometimes limes) on a regular basis in my water but I had never tried the grapefruit.  I filled a 2-liter pitcher with water and peeled one grapefruit.  I sliced it up and put it in the water along with some frozen strawberries.  I let this set all day before tasting...it needed more time.  After the fruit soaked overnight the water tasted AMAZING! You can add a little Stevia if you want it to be sweeter.

 
I have one more use for grapefruit (noting goes to waste here).  Instead of throwing out the peel from the grapefruit, put it in a 2-quart sauce pan and fill with water.  I added in some cinnamon and vanilla extract.  Place over med-low heat and let water evaporate.  This will make your house smell so good and also puts a little humidy in the air during those dry Winter months.  (When water gets low just keep adding more, keep an eye on this so you don't burn your pan!)



One last thing...after the grapefruit peel has been simmering all day it will be soft enough to send down the garbage disposal with hot water.  It creates the BEST citrus smell ever! 

Have a great day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...