Thursday, July 14, 2011

*Go Bananas!*

I am a huge fan of bananas!  I mash them to put in pancakes, slice them up over my cereal, add them to smoothies and blended coffee drinks, slice them up on peanut butter toast...ETC! 

Today I found a steal at the grocery store.  They had big bags of bananas for under $2!  I always feel sad that people throw out food or think it's bad because of what the outside looks like.  These bananas weren't bright yellow anymore but they were barely brown so they were perfectly good still. 

I brought them home, peeled them and cut in half.  Then I placed them in zip-lock bags and tossed in the freezer.  The reason I cut them in half is because alot of my recipes only call for half a banana. 

Cut up and ready to freeze! :)

I do the same thing with other fruits that I might not be able to consume before they go bad such as strawberries, limes, lemons, blueberries etc...  Freeze them and use them to flavor water or throw in a smoothie.  Save the fruit! ;)


3 comments:

  1. Love this!! i have been doing this myself just now because i hate to waste food. Frozen bananas in smoothies are amazing and I never knew it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a good idea! I always hate how people think fruit is 'bad' because the skin is a little browned or bruised. Usually that's when they are at their peak and sooo yummy:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...